Sunday, May 29, 2011

Rain Check, PLEASE!

We spent the weekend in Kathleen with Robert's family to celebrate his little brother's graduation.

I usually spend my time catching up on everyone else's life on Facebook when the boys are all together, but this time I was quite productive.  While the boys played Modern Warfare I searched for great deals starting this week. Since most drug stores begin their sales on Sunday, I had a head start (or so I thought).  I got out my coupon book and began a list for Walgreens, Rite Aid, and CVS. What would my fellow co-workers think of me buying from our lead competitors...oops.

When we got home, I wasted no time.  Robert and I unpacked the truck and like lighting, we were out the door. He and Priscilla went fishing and me...I hit the stores! First stop, Walgreens.  I was upset to find that the Ritz Crackers were sold out, and so were the substitutes they provided.  They were on sale for $2.00 and you received $2.00 RR making them FREE. My plan was to use my RR towards my 2nd transaction, but I had to quickly do some math and make a new plan. After my last mishap at CVS, I've learned to write out my transactions and calculate my subtotal. If it's wrong at the register, it's all going to be wrong! Although I was upset for losing out on the Ritz freebie and not getting a rain check, I still scored free tanning lotion and aloe vera. I also lost a $1.50 coupon off Scott paper towels when they were on sale for $3.99. I still got 4 at $2.49 but darnnit I planned on 5! They were also sold out of the V8 fusion that were advertised at 2/6. I had a coupon for $1/2 so, I was able to recieve a rain check for this since that item didn't give back RR.

Rite Aid was the best.  I got Coppertone sunblock for $7.99 and recieved 2UP. I used that on my 2nd transaction along with some other great deals.  I was also very excited to find that Rite Aid has a rebate program online. The Excedrin PM that was advertised at $4.99, and I got $2 off after a store coupon and manufactor coupon, was on May's rebate list. So, the 50ct bottle of brand name pain reliever is only $1.99 after coupons and rebate. Amazing.

On my previous 2 savings trips, I saved an average of around 40%. Which was okay with me, considering I just started out. I was very, very pleased today to find that my combined savings at both Walgreens and Rite Aid was 57%. Although, the concept of us spending  money on things all at once may seem a little unusual.  Throwing things in the shopping cart  like, 3 bottles of dish soap, 24 rolls of paper towels, 6 packs of gum...it is still saving us in the long run.  We will eventually use it.  And it's stuff we use. I've yet to purchase something that is a money maker that we won't use, yet at least ;)


Not pictured *24 rolls of Scott's Natural paper towels

I guess this post was for sharing my savings today and also rebuking this article on anti-couponing. I was sort of anti-couponing at first, too.  I would get mad at the extreme people clearing the shelves before I could get one because it was actually on  my shopping list. But, the last thing I think it is is wasting time.  If you can save money on something, why wouldn't you?  If you take your time to cut coupons and search for them online, you deserve to get what you can! Yes, I'll be back to school soon, but couponing is worth every minute spent saving money on groceries and using it for our Florida trip. I'd also give props to KCL for her article for pro-couponing

So, to sum up my trip.

Rite Aid
Retail: $32.14
Spent: $15.92
Saved: $16.22 = 50% savings

Walgreens
Retail: $84.42
Spent: $33.72
Saved: $50.69 = 60% savings

Poor Robert didn't have such luck with fishing. But, the important thing is he had time to relax and do something he enjoyed after a long weekend away, as did I.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...