Friday, February 8, 2013

Nurses are Angels in disguise

Last night we had our White Coat Ceremony for the December class of 2014. It's seen as an induction ceremony into your professional classes. This ceremony replaces the "white cap" ceremony that everyone is very familiar with in Nursing school.  They no longer use the cap anymore due to the rise in male students. Another interesting fact, they no longer use caps anymore because it was a reservoir for germs! Say what?







I was very excited about our ceremony.  My parents or sister were not able to make it due to the distance between us :( but my husband was up there rooting for me. 

I'm not going to lie, I got a little emotional when we said our pledge.  I've always wanted to be a nurse.  My Aunt was the first influence in my life, she is also a nurse. I've always looked up to her and she bought me my first stethoscope when she found out I got into the program! When my nephew was born, he was in the NICU and I couldn't see him but I knew there were nurses in there caring for him and giving him all the love a newborn needs.  A few months after my nephew was born, my Grammy died from cancer.  We spent the last few weeks with her in the hospital, and again it just swelled my heart. 3 years later, I visited my other Grandmother for a surgery and saw how diligent and caring the nurses were, along with my Aunt.  There's just a feeling you get when you see these things, I knew I was meant to be a nurse.  

I think one of the reasons I got so emotional was because my Grammy wasn't there.  Like all Grandmother's, this lady was my world.  My sister and I were very fortunate to form such a strong relationship with our Grammy considering she lived in Louisiana and we were military, living anywhere.  We got to spend every summer with her and most Christmases.  My mother was an only child, and she only had my sister and me. We were my Grammy's three girls, and any chance she got, she always called the three of us her little angels.  "You'll always be my little angel"

I saw a coffee cup at Hallmark a few years ago (I wish I would have bought it) that said "Nurse are Angels in disguise" and if there was every any chance I doubted what I should do with my life, God (and I believe my Grammy, too) reassured me right then and there! 

I look forward to the next 3.75 semesters of my life and praise God for this opportunity, and thankful for all those who've influenced me along the way.  



“In the full knowledge of the task I am undertaking, I promise to take care of the sick with all the skill and understanding I possess, without regard to race, creed, color, politics, or social status, sparing no effort to conserve life, to alleviate suffering, and promote health..."
  


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...